Thursday, July 1, 2010

Uspantán, El Quiche

I got my site assignment this morning! I will be living in Uspantán, El Quiche for the next 2 years!



I will be the first and only (for now) volunteer from my program. There are currently volunteers working in my municipality in municipal development, eco-tourism and agricultural development. It will be nice to have a few site mates though I am excited to be working on my own with the Health Center.

The population of Uspantán speaks Spanish but the majority speak Mayan languages- Q'eqchi, Quiche and Uspanteko...so that will be interesting.

I'm excited. I will be in a large (relatively speaking) city but still in a rather rural area- best of both worlds. I leave on Sunday for Xela, Quetzaltenango. On Monday everyone from my training group will be meeting with their counterparts and from there I will leave with my counterpart for Uspantán. I will be there through Saturday, scoping it out and meeting the employees of the Health Center. Then back to San Luis las Carretas for the final week of training and Friday the 16th I swear in.

It's all going so quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment